Friday, January 06, 2006

Norfolk 4-5/1

Recently I (Jones) have been suffering from pneumonia so have done virtually nothing aside short local trips. However, my strength is finally coming back, and mum and I decided to go down Norfolk for a couple of days - giving me the chance to get some 'fresh air'.

The afternoon of the 4th was spent in the Cley area. First port of call was Kelling Water Meadows, where the Eurasian Bittern walked around in the open in the cow field just to the south of the main pool. It was very odd to see a Bittern in the middle of a field hunting amongst cows, with no cover whatsoever around it, and an easy way to secure this sometimes-difficult species for the year.
Next we moved down the road to Salthouse, where the highlight was a Purple Sand on the pool by the carpark. Sorted out common waders here like Ruff, Knot, Snipe etc, as well as a flock of Snow Buntings flying around. Offshore, a Black-throated and several Red-throated Divers provided interest, as did Guillemots and a Razorbill.
The regular flock of Dark-bellied Brent Geese revealed two Pale-bellied Brents opposite Walsey Hills, but no Brants.
Then it was on to Stiffkey, where mum left me for an hour or so. Highlights here included Bramblings, Blackcap, male Hen Harrier, Ruddy Duck, but no hoped-for Green-winged Teal amongst the hundreds of Eurasian.
By the time we reached Holkham it was almost dark, and there was no sign of the Black Brant. However several thousand Pink-foooted Geese were noted, as was a Barn Owl and a few Eurasian White-fronted Geese.

5th
A relatively late start saw me back at Holkham; this time in the park. After a while, a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was eventually located just east of the monument with a tit flock, which contained both Nuthatch and Marsh Tit. Also, Jays were heard calling. I wandered down to the lake, which was full of gulls. Two Meds were located; and adult and an advanced first-winter. An adult Yellow-legged Gull was sitting on a post on the opposite side of the lake. There were also 12 Barnacle Geese here; presumably the source of the birds often seen with Pinks. I then wandered down to the Gap, where I distantly 'scoped a small flock of four Shore Larks towards the eastern end. I couldn't be bothered to get closer, so went back to the Brents by Lady Anne's drive. The adult Black Brant was showing well with at least four hybrids amongst the flock, some looking fairly reminiscent of nigricans. I grilled the extensive flocks of Pinks, and was well rewarded with an adult Greenland White-fronted Goose and a single Tundra Bean Goose. However there was no sign of the Ross's X Pink hybrid.
Eventually I got cold, and I met up with mum and my aunt, and we journeyed to Titchwell. The scrapes were pretty dead, although two Bearded Tits called from the main reedbed, as did a Water Rail. A lone Avocet was on the Brackish Marsh. The sea provided the most interest with the highlight being a Black-necked Grebe. At least one Slavonian was also noted, as was a Long-tailed Duck, several Red-breasted Mergansers, 6 Velvet Scoters, several thousand Common Scoters, and two Eider. Also cleared up on a couple of easy waders like Ringed Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit.
We then headed up to Choseley, where Corn Bunting was added to the year list. There was no sign of the Little Owl however, though a big flock of Pinks was impressive.
It got dark, and then we went home.

1 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
I am newbie this place and want to talk my laughable story. I am too fat and i need to loose weight. right now i am 7'9" and weigh 154 something lbs. please any idea's on how to loose weight? i eat fairly healthily, (i think,) i am a vegetarian. i [url=http://www.volny.cz/pills/buy-tramadol.html]buy tramadol[/url] and eat it. but it didn't help me. i have a fairly busy schedule and i can't exercise too regularly. I run on a treadmill 2-3 times a week for 40 min and I workout at karate twice a week for 45 min - 1 hr. I [url=http://www.volny.cz/pills/buy-xanax.html]buy xanax[/url] but it didn't help me too. Does anyone have any good diet idea's that would help me loose weight? does anyone have any exercises which will give ya a smaller butt? i want to start modeling, but i need to loose the inches there too. my hips are 37" - 38" and my waist is 28" I need to decrease them both to
34" -36" hips and 24" - 26" waist. I need ideas on how to do so! so please help me!!!
Thanx a lot for any help i can get
i need it
Bye














































- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BUY XANAX - Lowest Prices on Quality FDA Approved Drugs!
http://www.volny.cz/pills/buy-xanax.html
BUY TRAMADOL - All Quantity And Dose Per Pack That You Need!
http://www.volny.cz/pills/buy-tramadol.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home